Friday 18 February 2011

Mr. Gurdjieff and Crowley

I have in front of me a typescript from the 1970s which refers to this incident:

"There is a persistent legend to the effect that they once met and engaged in some kind of magical contest, but this is almost certainly apocryphal. What is certain is, that during the 1920s, Crowley paid an unsolicited visit to G.'s school at Fountainbleu on Avon, but G. was either not there or refused to see him, and Crowley was shown around by Major Pindar. Of this visit, Crowley wrote in his Magical Record:

'Gurdjieff, their prophet, seems a tip-top man. Heard more sense and insight than I've done for years. Pindar dines at 7.30. Oracle for my visit was "There are few men: there are enough". Later, a really wonderful evening with Pindar. Gurdjieff clearly a very advanced adept. My chief quarrels are over sex (I doubt whether Pindar understands G.'s true position) and their punishments, e.g. depriving the offender of a meal or making him stand half an hour with his arms out. Childish and morally valueless'.

"We have not heard of these 'punishments' from other sources and it is more than possible that Pindar was taking a leaf out of G.'s book and pulling Crowley's leg."

That's all I can say; hope it helps.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment